Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Announcing a title change for this blog

I have been blogging since sometime in mid 2006 or so. When I first started this project my goal was to keep myself up-to-date on science research. Having graduated with my master's in 2002 I knew I could quickly forget all of my science. I was also inspired by some science writing meetings I had attended. First in Santa Fe NM and then in Seattle and Lafayette, Arkansas. This online gig seemed a good way to track my progress in reading about science in the newspaper.

Since I started teaching in January of 2010 this blog has taken a different twist. I find myself more and more talking about my teaching and my strategy in the classroom. I do mention science in the media but it is more for the purpose of supporting my teaching strategy than for the sheer joy of reading the paper. This is why I decided to change the name of the blog.

The blog is now the Stoichiometric Equivalent (as you can see). As the subtitle states, I want to remind any and all viewers of this blog (I'm hoping you are students) that stoichiometry is the key to introductory c hemistry. I taught basic stoichiometry today in class and I would doubt any of my students know the name of what they learned. Last semester I put the word on an exam and everybody came up to me afterward to ask me about the new vocabulary term. Seems that people learn all about what stoichiometry is and how it can help them pass introductory chemistry before they actually associate the name stoichiometry with what they are doing.

And......I thought of the clever pun "It all boils down to stoichiometry." Very funny huh? Boiling in chemistry.....haha......glad to add at least a dash of humor.

You see I realized something. I may never be a journalist with any kind of political impact or sway. I've been writing and submitting stories to various publications for about seven years now. And- I've had some nice publications accept my writing, don't get me wrong.  I just realize that to really have a voice in journalism on any level that really impacts decisions you have to be published in one of the nationally recognized publications like The Wall Street Journal or The New York Times. While that could happen I'm not holding my breath. I'll be fine if my work is never in the The New York Times.

For that reason I think it is all the more appropriate for me to celebrate the skill that I have attained in the world of science - that is teaching. I want to use my teaching opportunities to familiarize my students with online resources and opportunities they didn't know they had. I think reference to newspapers like the Wall Street Journal and New York Times may help me with that.