Monday, February 07, 2011

My husband the general contractor

One of the wonderful things about being married to my beloved husband is the way he surprises me. I thought I married a great guy three years ago when we walked down the aisle. I am finding out, day by day, that I married a truly amazing person who never ceases to amaze me. I'm constantly finding out new things about him.

Most recently, I've discovered he is a general contractor. What? You ask. The whole thing started with a notice from our home owner's association in October that we were required to leave our condo in the first week in December. Then, a week after that I confirmed something I had suspected for about a week- I was pregnant. It was decided that I would move out of our house indefinitely during the termite tenting. Because we packed up all of our belongings and moved everything into a storage unit, we decided there had never been a better time to tackle that kitchen remodel project.

That was just the beginning. Not many people are remodeling right now. With unemployment high and cash scarce many customers are shying away from Home Depot. For this reason, the barn-burner deals started trickling in. Pretty soon the budget we had allocated became enough to remodel kitchen AND bathrooms. And then we just decided to do the entire house all at once from the kitchen to the bathrooms with some new carpet and hallway linen closets.

And I discovered that my husband is a general contractor. He can negotiate deals with different vendors around town- he knows where to look, how to ask, and how to bargain. His business skills are about 150% better than mine.

What a deal. I love marriage.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete